Thursday, June 8, 2017

The White Devil (Sam Wanamaker, 13 March)

In Vienna, you'll be accosted by these sort of fake classical music troupes--aimed at tourists, clearly not really for the locals--who put on shows aimed at people who just want to see some Beethoven in an old church. The Wannamaker needs to do better than that, y'know?

Every time I see something here Wanamaker, I see what seem to be theatregoers about where I was when I first went. Let's say you're North American; let's say in high school you hear about these Elizabethan outdoor theaters. Maybe your English teacher mentions that they've recreated one, and you're excited. Then you also hear about the Elizabethan indoor theaters--the latey-Shakespeare, Tempest-y ones. You thrill with the fact that you're one of the few people on earth (as you imagine it) who know what Blackfriars is. Or was. And then you go to the Globe--and it's just like your teacher said! Life experience crossed off! And then, you find out about this newer, indoor theater, and you're even more excited! And you go, and it's amazing: candles! Uncomfortable seats! A discovery area! Achievement unlocked.

But then let's say you live in London, or you're here for a while. And then you go a second time, and, it's still exciting--I mean you HAD to go, never mind the ticket prices--and, you know, it's pretty good. You definitely don't try to talk yourself into it because of how much it cost. It's authentic, right? And then you go again. And this time you really notice: parts of this are kind of dull. Like the acting's not very good, and the production is kind of uninspired. Everyone seems to either rant or simper according to type. You've seen more interesting productions of, like, everything. Is it possible that candlelit theatre really isn't as exciting as your little high school heart believed?

Reader, know that it breaks my heart to say this, but: the Wanamaker is a tourist attraction. Every time I go, I see people having what I assume is the first-time experience, and they think it's amazing, or seem to. They look on bright-eyed; they clap and clap.

This was mostly fine, and occasionally dull. Of this and the we-bought-a-truckload-of-D&G-some-time-ago-and-also-music RSC White Devil of last summer, I'd probably go with the RSC--but that production got big and weird and drift-y. This in contrast was smaller, intimate--and mostly ranted. I appreciate the limitations of this singularly limited (and I think for actors, limiting) space--but I wanted a better production. The actors here occasionally fell into the mode of generic, Peanuts adult-y Renaissance speech: I'm not sure I thought they knew what they were saying. This was totally run-of-the-mill Jacobean theater in an expensive box.

No comments:

Post a Comment