Thursday, June 23, 2016

Barbu (London Wonderground, 23 June)

As I casually name-drop sophisticated entertainments, may I add "Quebecois alt-circus."
This was really fun. Sexy, bearded men (and a couple of women) dance around doing circusy things. Indeed there's beard fetishism throughout: a healthy and worthwhile thing. And the beards are really good at those circusy things: definitely the best metal cups I've seen thrown onstage in a good long while. Plus at the end the dude I assume was the company director stripped totally naked and waved his dick at us, which is something I'd like to see (say) the Kenneth Branagh Company adopt as standard practice.
I'm not, like, a circus devotee; and sometimes I wondered if such a devotee might dislike the loud music and video screens, with their potential to take emphasis away from (I guess) circus fundamentals. It felt like one of the female company members, the one who did the acrobatic stuff, was like twice as talented as the men in the company--kind of a Hillary Clinton thing. And I left feeling like those theatre reviewers you see in free newspapers distributed on subways: "high-energy entertainment," that sort of thing. But, damn it: it was high-energy entertainment. Plus the rare piece I've seen recently where the number of exposed penises (2) outnumbered the number of fully exposed female nipples. London really is the center of the universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment